One-SF2 by Xen-Arts
One-SF2 is a single stereo oscillator, SF2 SoundFont VSTi that features full-controller MIDI Pitch Microtuning using the MTS (MIDI Tuning Standard) format, where any MIDI Note Number can be freely microtuned to any desired pitch across the MIDI range, enabling computer musicians and composers to explore the vast expressive possibilities of composing music with alternative intonation systems.
The instrument enables users to load their own stereo SF2 SoundFont files and thereby any special timbres required of the music at hand, from classical acoustic instruments, to synthesized ones.
The instrument is also an educational tool for learning about computer music sound-design, sampling, as well as musical instrument intonation (aka microtuning and xenharmonics).
This instrument embodies a design philosophy of simplicity for microtonal music sound-design…
- Enables computer musicians and composers to freely load their own SF2 SoundFonts into a fully microtonal, sample-based VSTi
- A ‘knob-less’ design featuring slider controls only, which enables intuitive direct control with a computer mouse
- Settings are made by typing values into fields, dropdown lists, left-and-right arrows, switches and sliders
- Enables musicians to specify precise microtonal pitch-bend settings
- Features arbitrary microtonal oscillator transposition settings
- Amplitude Envelope Generator with per-stage ADSR keyboard tracking
Amplitude EG Section
- Dedicated Envelope Generator
- VCA Envelope Generator with Per-Stage ADSR Keyboard Tracking
- Switchable Velocity Sensitivity and Fixed Volume Control
- MIDI Pitch Microtuning with MTS (MIDI Tuning Standard)
- MTS Support for both Single Note and Bulk Dump
- Loads MTS Microtuning Format Files Internally and Receives MTS Externally
- Local (Per-Patch) and Global Microtuning (Static Microtuning for All Patches)
- Microtunings can be loaded from any directory on hard drives or storage devices connected to the computer
- 12 Note Polyphonic
- Monophonic Legato Mode
- Monophonic Portamento
- Microtonal Pitch Bend
SF2 SoundFont Resources
While there are vast numbers of freeware SF2, and in many cases, tragically orphaned ones, available around the web, below are a few links to get started with:
Personal Copy SoundFonts
A website containing numerous relatively high-quality GM SF2
S. Christian Collins
Creator of the GM SF2 used in the XenFont default factory patches:
GeneralUser GS SoftSynth v1.44.sf2
Old Soundcard Emulation
Contains a number of old soundcard SF2.
Soundfonts for chipmusic, chiptune and retro games.
If there are other useful SF2 SoundFonts and sites that visitors would like make us aware of, please feel free to post your links in the comments of this announcement.
Some Background Information
One of the most frequent visitors to Xen-Arts, the venerable Anonymous, asked for a stereo SF2 VSTi some time ago. This instrument is for them and anyone else requiring a fully microtunable stereo SoundFont VSTi for their music. This instrument is similar in some ways to the concept of the free sforzando SFZ Player by Plogue (which uses the Scala SCL microtuning format), although it is based rather on the SF2 SoundFont format and can be freely and fully microtuned with the MIDI Tuning Standard (MTS).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT XEN-ARTS SOFTWARE